Be respectful of thy neighbor

Hi guys!  Happy Friday!

This week flew by!  But probably because I only had to work 3 days.   I had an MRI appointment this morning—fingers crossed that all went well!  I will find out within 24 hours.  This one wasn’t bad at all—it wasn’t the full on tube/coffin type thing like it was last time I went.  My dad was telling me that sometimes they use MRI’s to treat depression because some people feel really happy after getting MRI’s (because of the magnets or something?).  He got an MRI for an injury awhile back and said he practically skipped out of the place!  I was hoping for the same luck—but I can’t say I felt overly happy when I was leaving—mostly just tired.  Darn.

I am still trying to catch up on sleep from Wednesday night when my neighbors decided to play music from 10 on.  I was almost asleep when I heard it start and was sooooo angry.  Their ‘music’ is actually just the bass from their music which is often loud enough to make the windows in my room shake.  It literally feels like I’m at a concert, so there is really no chance of falling asleep at all.  I have one of the guys phone numbers so I texted him and asked them to stop (no shame in my early bedtime at all), and he told me they weren’t home, which obviously was a lie.  So, I went downstairs and rang the doorbell/pounded on the door for awhile—but the music was so loud I’m sure they couldn’t hear.  So I did what any 80 year old would do when they want to sleep—called the cops!  I did feel kind of bad about this, but I have asked them in the past time and time again if they could not play loud music after 10:30 PM during the week, which doesn’t seem that unreasonable to me.  I sound like a fun neighbor, don’t I?  So, I called (311) and said I needed to report a noise disturbance.  It took the cops almost 2 hours to come (and my roommate call again after an hour).  I realize that noise disturbances probably aren’t their first priority, but still.  They finally came and the music went off—this was around midnight.  I closed my eyes ready to finally get around 5 and half hours of sleep, when low and behold, it starts again and even louder than before.  I went back downstairs and pounded on the door, seriously almost in tears—because let’s face it, I like my sleep.  They finally opened it and took one look at me and knew why I was there—I was so mad.  He just started stammering ‘sorry’ and I was like ‘yeah, turn it off’.  And then they finally did!  I just don’t want this to keep happening—I am SUCH a baby about getting enough sleep and it sucks that this happens every week or so and causes me to want to move basically.  I hope I won’t have to resort to calling 311 again bc I did feel bad…but don’t these boys know to be respectful of their neighbors?  Obviously not!!!

Moving on from the dramadies of my life where I make myself sound incredibly lame…last night I was kind of at a loss as to what to make for dinner.  While in Harbor, I bought a celery root and fennel, both of which I had never cooked or even eaten before.  So, I had no idea how to prepare either one.  After doing a bit of searching online, I found that celery root was kind of similar in taste and consistency to a potato or turnip.  Basically, it tastes similar to any other root vegetable.  So I guess I probably should have known already that it would have a similar taste based on it’s name…dur dur dur.

Who knew celery grew out of this thing and that it was edible?  Certainly not me.

I decided I would roast the fennel and celery root with red skin potatoes and sweet potatoes that I already had in my cupboard.


Roasted Root Veggies with Fennel

1 medium or large sweet potato

1 celery root, peeled and diced

1 head of fennel

5 medium baby red skin potatoes (or you could just use regular potato if you want, I like red skins better)

Start by cutting all the veggies down into a similar size—you want them to roast evenly.  I left the skins on the potatoes but peeled it off the celery root (I found it is best to cut both ends off, then cut it in half, and then peel each side).  I put everything in a bowl and poured a few tablespoons of olive oil in.  Mix the oil in, add some salt and pour on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes at 400 degrees.  Make sure to move the veggies around (turn, flip, shake) twice while cooking so all sides cook evenly and so they don’t stick to the pan.

I do love root vegetables, but just eating them by themselves is kinda boring, no?  So I thought maybe I would make a pesto for the vegetables, because I like pesto potato salad.   The only problem is that my herb plant is looking a little lackluster since I was out of town and didn’t water it for awhile.  Hey, at least it is still alive—a major success in my book.  I gathered all of the herbs that I could salvage which probably ended up being only a quarter cup or so (packed).  That obviously wasn’t enough.

Then I remembered I had roasted grape tomatoes the night before and had a bunch of dill in the fridge.  Why not combine them all?  The end result was honestly one of the best pesto’s I have made—forget those other pestos that I said were the best.  If you like dill, you will like this one a lot.  If you don’t like dill—feel free to substitute for something more traditional like basil.

Roasted Tomato and Dill Pesto

1 cup roasted tomatoes (use any kind of tomatoes you have on hand—I used minis)

1 cup chopped dill

1/2 cup other herbs, chopped

1/2 cup sunflower seeds

2 T nutritional yeast

2 T olive oil+ 1 T water

1 clove garlic

Salt, to taste

To roast your tomatoes, just pour them on a bakin sheet with a little bit of olive oil—tomatoes don’t need much.  I also salted mine.  I roasted them at 350 for probably about 10 minutes or so—I didn’t want them to be so cooked that they started to burst (this time), so I just left them until they had more of a cooked flavor.

If you have extra roasted tomatoes, they are great on salads!

While the tomatoes are cooking, you can put the sunflower seeds in a food processor and grind them up.  Once the tomatoes are done, add all other ingredients to the seeds and pulse a few times—should only take a minute or so.

That’s it!  This stuff is so good, I was eating it by the spoonful.  And then I realized I barely had enough left for my potatoes—oopsy.

I put the root veggies back in the bowl I used to coat with oil and added the pesto.  Mix together until they are covered and put them on a plate.  I then topped with an over easy egg for some protein.  Egg yolk is delicious on potatoes, especially when they are covered in pesto.  Yum!  You could make this for breakfast/brunch but I usually don’t have the patience to wait 40+ minutes at breakfast.  It would make a great easy dinner though.  It is very hearty and filling—I was stuffed after finishing my plate.


Off to start the weekend, have a good one!


Leave a Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>